It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

"Ok, I am a former EQ & EQ2 addict. I played EQ1 for over a year(this was way before I met my husband), I was even in the beta. 4 years after I quit I played EQ2 for about a year. If my husband tried to take me away on a romantic getaway while I was mired in my addiction I probably would have gone along but the ENTIRE time I would have been thinking about playing the game. Spend your money more wisely and get yourselves to marriage counseling. In my case, I played EQ1 because I was in a very controlling relationship with a man who would not let me leave the house alone among other things. When I finally escaped that relationship I quit EQ1. I went back to my addiction because I was missing something in my marriage that I thought I could find in fantasy land. I was lonely, had low self-esteem and was using the game as an escape from my husbands short temper. I finally left him while he was at work. I packed all my stuff in a U-Haul and headed across the country. He caught up to me halfway across the next state and begged me to come home. I logged on to EQ once after we got back to give away all of my items and say goodbye then I deleted the game from my system. We are BOTH working on our marriage now. I can bet you that if your partner is addicted to EQ it is because there are other issues that need to be addressed. And I'm not saying its the wids fault either. Just look deeper than the addiction if you want to try and solve the problem.

Also, you may want to try to replace EQ with an equally entertaining but FAR less addictive game like Morrowind. When I get the itch to play EQ (which is probably twice a month) I load my last save game of Morrowind and the game world is exactly as I left it. I don't have to obsess over it because when I'm not there, the world stops. One of the biggest problems with EQ is that it keeps going after you log off and you don't know what you might be missing out on. With an offline game you don't miss anything and if you die or screw up you can just load your last saved game and everything is fixed. There is also less pressure to keep leveling up so that you can continue to play with your guildmates because you are the only one there. And... brace yourself now... you can -pause- the game. I get all the saticfaction of hacking a monster to bits without all of the unnecessary stress."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah you had issues, you got hooked, but other people who play the game are not using it as a crutch, they do it for fun.

I can play 7 days in a row, or not play for a month, I dont miss it or think about it. Its fun for when I have the time and will to play.

Good luck on your marriage, good thing you recognized your problem.

Once you kick hubby in the ass a bit, try playing again on your own terms, for fun, not an escape.


If he does keep treating you that way. Leave. Noone deserves that kind of shit.

Best of luck

Feb 17, 2006, 8:28:00 AM

 
Blogger J said...

Well, first of all, congrats that you have your game-playing (and thinking) under control. I don't quite know what you mean by "other people". Sure, everyone plays it for fun. But how many people play it for fun for hours and hours and days after days, well, you know what I mean. I think anyone who ends up playing the game like a job has other reasons for playing than "just for fun".

Feb 17, 2006, 11:14:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are smart. Actually, most of the players addicted to different games are trying to avoid real-world problems while playing. This way they can just shrink into their shells and forget everythig else. I know very few folks with positive life attitude addicted to mmorpg. I do think this aspect will arise many times in the future when it will clear that playing mmorpg can have significant effect on social relationships.

Feb 21, 2006, 8:45:00 AM

 
Blogger J said...

I agree with all what you've said (although I'm not really into mmog gold ;)).

The issue at hand isn't whether MMOGs are evil or not (or who's right) - what's more important is that with the mainstreaming of online games, more and more might find it easy to lose themselves in obsessive gameplay if they experience obstacles and troubles in the real world - without realizing that they've put themselves on a semi-automatic self-destruct course.

Sure, most people will pull themselves out of a fog eventually, but I hope that reading other people's stories can clarify things before there are consequences from "problematic play".

Feb 21, 2006, 10:37:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why do you think i said you are smart? It is not just because your post is intelligent, but because you had will and mind to stop playing. most players aren't so wise to stop playing in due time.
People have tend to read and forget.
I havent thought about it deeply but I think it will be the same story as we have with other kinds of addiction - drugs, alcohol, smoking etc. Look, last two addictions arent forbidden at all in most countries. actually, i cant rememeber which addiction was beaten by intellect.))
How sadly that we live in opposite sides of the Earth. How nice that we have the Net. Good luck! )

Feb 21, 2006, 11:49:00 AM

 
Blogger J said...

Well, there are others who have quit - look at the gamers who have posted their stories here. Thanks for your response and take good care of yourself!

Feb 21, 2006, 9:04:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home