It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"My husband ... has been addicted to EQ for the past 26 months! ... I'm sure we've all said that same thing, it is running our marriage into the ground! And it really is, I noticed there was a problem about 6 months after we got the game (which ironically I bought him for his birthday… so it's quote, unquote my fault)...[he] was taking his two weeks of leave ...I was working during the day but when I would get home he would be on the computer, soon he was eating his dinner at the computer and crawling into bed just hours before I would be getting up. I figured that this behavior would stop once he had to go back to work, I was wrong. Some how he still managed to work and play just as much EQ. Soon it got to the point where we weren't spending time together and I brought it up. You would have thought that the whole world had come to a halt, he came up with some lame excuse like would you rather that I was at the bar? At least you know where I'm at, or things like, it would cost more money to go out. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, before EQ there was an awesome tavern down the street from our house and we would go in there together and play pool and darts, shoot the shit and knock back a few beers. [He] and I would always have a good time. In my efforts to understand the game I asked if he could teach me how to play, he gave me a half ass lesson and then would get frustrated when I asked questions. Since I prefer not to be yelled at I figured I didn't want anything else to do with it.... All of his new friends play EQ, and are single. [He] had some married friends who also played EQ and I would hang out with their wives, but [he] and one them got into a fight about the game over changing guilds and we haven't heard from them since. [One of the married friend's wife] and I aren't talking because of our husbands and it just sucks, my friend ... is the only one of my friends that knows what I'm going through, her husband however has been making big improvements on spending more time with his family. My husband however has gotten worse. I came home from work a few months ago and his friend's computer was in our house, my dinning room had been taken over. His friends have pretty much taken up residency at our house. There are always there at dinnertime, doesn't matter if I have the flu or not. They will not get the hint and my husband doesn't care. He gets so involved with his game that he will say things like 'oh honey I didn't realize you've been home' yet I've been home for hours. About 2 months ago I went out a bought myself a computer since I could never use ours and set it up in the spare room. Since we live in an apartment and were not allowed to have another cable jack installed I went with the wireless Internet, I discussed this with [him] and had it installed. Apparently there was a problem with the setup and it wouldn't allow him to log on his game, he missed his raid. He accused me of doing it on purpose and we got into a huge fight over it, until the whole thing got fixed. Then I got to hear about it for days. Yesterday he disconnected the wireless Internet leaving me with no access for my computer. I was told that I could move my computer out into the dinning room with the other ones if I wanted service. And I'll be damned if that happens. Because I know what will happen, he will download his game on there and play the two computers at the same time. I'm not sure what has pushed me closer to the edge, not having time with my husband or having to take care of all the household responsibilities on top of working a full time job. I've tried going on strike but that doesn't seem to matter because I'm the one that can't stand the mess, he couldn't care less. Then I end up with much more on my plate to do. My marriage is falling apart and I'm ALMOST to where I don't care. I hardly bother spending much time at home because I can't relax and unwind in my home. I have turned my attention towards working out at the gym, which he makes fun of. I guess I can't have a hobby that is actually good for you. I'm at a loss for what to do. And if things don't change I'm done."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home