It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Something funny happened on the way away from EQ... I discovered how much there is to do in rl. Not trying to act sarcastic or all-knowing here - I thought I already found out how much there is to living life outside of the online worlds when I started this blog but here we are 3 years later, and it's only become more apparent. I just moved to a new place recently and sometimes I try to imagine how life would be if I was still trying to play MMOGs while doing all the things I'm doing now - I cannot imagine it because - to be frank - it would be impossible.

I find myself further removed from MMOGs than ever before - which isn't ideal for this blog. Sure, it's done a heckload for me but I feel slightly guilty for not being able to keep this going as strongly as I would have liked. There are still so many things that could be done to look into and study the impact of MMOGs on society but wanting to do it and finding the time are worlds apart.

I am posting this in the hopes that someone out here might read this and feel that they still have much to contribute to this area and would like to give it a try. I started this blog 3 years ago with the intention of surfacing these stories and giving readers a chance to reflect and make choices. I have been lucky to exchange emails with quite a few bright, insightful and humble people who were smarter than to fall into the trap of thinking in black&white terms only. And it's made me happy to see that others have gone through the same kind of aha experience I had and decided to take charge of their own lives.

I think I have done as much as I could for now and hopefully will be able to do more in the future, but for now, I'd like to hand over part of the reigns to someone who has more energy and time than me :)

P.S.: Gamerwidow's done a great job compiling and indexing stories they've had on the forums so I'll provide the link here - http://www.gamerwidow.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=368