It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A couple of interesting articles found by Lisa Galarneau from socialstudygames:

My life as an online gamer. Extract: "I think I am addicted. I've got to the stage where I feel that without gaming, I have nothing interesting to do."

Student held over online mugging. This fits in nicely with prediction numero 8 from another article I posted last week ("There will be a branch of government to rule the virtual world").

2 Comments:

Blogger Portia said...

Hmmm, the gamer who said that not enough people make fun a priority got me thinking. It's true that once we get to be adults we don't do much for fun anymore. Even kids these days are often so overscheduled they hardly have time to go out and just play.

Gaming is only slightly better than sitting around like a big spud watching the tube. For me it begs the question - is gaming really "fun?" Can gaming ever be as much fun as actually going outside and tossing a frisbee, or climbing a tree, or running through the waves at the beach, or rolling down the side of a grassy hill with your kids laughing your head off?

Sep 20, 2005, 3:09:00 PM

 
Blogger J said...

J's guidelines to fun ;-)

1. It's not fun if other people & animals get hurt.

2. Fun shouldn't be done in excess - too much, and it becomes hedonism.

3. Hedonism is fine as long as it does not affect anyone else negatively.

I have my own ideas of what is fun and what is enjoyable, and so does everyone else. We're all entitled to some amount of it (and yes, I think it is possible to balance life to make time for it), but I think when someone tries to make one thing the only source of fun, you can almost certainly predict future troubles to come.

Sep 21, 2005, 4:09:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home