It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Monday, September 13, 2004

"My husband has played EQ for nearly 4 years. I begged, pleaded, screamed, threatened, demanded, cried, cajoled, bribed...well did everything to try to get his attention. Over the years we tried many things including setting a schedule for his play times. Nothing ever worked. I finally resorted to playing with him on occasion just so I could spend some time with him and feel we had something to talk about again. I rarely played though and he kept having to make twinks to be able to group with me.

FAST FORWARD

... he was transferred to another state. We made the decision I would not go back to work, would be a stay at home wife/mom. I was alone in a new town with no friends or family. I suddenly had no job and loads of time on my hands. So after a couple months I started to play online during the day. I got brave and began to group with other people. Met some friends from his guild and joined too. Some friends were female, others were male. I began to play more and more. At first he rejoiced. No more bitchy wife nagging about how much he played. I was always in-game and having a great time. Everquest was my life and his outside of his job. I talked to my guild leader (a female) on the phone every day for hours at a time. I also made some friends with some single males in the guild. I was in heaven. I was popular and guys were paying so much attention to me. After years of being ignored I was ecstatic! One male guild member in particular I began to really like. We started flirting, which led to ... eventually me leaving my husband ... and traveling 1/2 across the country to move in with this guys. SOMEONE I HAD NEVER MET!!

I was so lost in a fantasy world I didn't know up from down, right from wrong, or me from my online toon. Fortunately for me I woke up quickly. I came home 3 days later. My husband and I went to counselling and have spent the last few months reconciling our relationship.

I still feel like this was a dream, like it happened to someone else. I'm embarrassed and ashamed of what I did and there is nothing I can do to take it back.

Anyway, long story short the moral is...be careful. Everquest imo is most addictive to those who are struggling in RL w/ self esteem issues. Something living with an EQA contributes to. Learn from my mistake, please don't put yourself our your significant other through what I did. Oh, and if you think to yourself "I'd never do that" just remember so did I. I'm not your average EQ player... female, non-geek, wealthy, educated professional w/ no experience in gaming online or other and I got sucked into their world faster than the spin of a dime."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home