It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

"My husband used to play EQ1 when we were dating and then he quit. He used to tell me how he'd play for hours and hours and I thought it was just ridiculous. I thought he'd never get into it again. That is until EQ2 came out.

He played, heck, even I played a little, until I realized it was way out of my commitment level and just too hard. Now I think he's a level 36 or something... Our marriage is perfect, he's my best friend and I wake up smiling everyday...but some days just feel empty.

He recently got into the guilds, which leads to Teamspeak, and I find myself frequently saying something to him..and then going, "are you listening?" Turns out somebody was talking on the headphones and then he gets irritated, saying he was busy. Good god I'm standing right here and I'm real and flesh and they're a priority? I want him to have fun and be entertained, I mean, I watch TV, what's the difference..but I look up when somebody is talking to me. With those headphones I feel like he's shutting me out. I know he means well and he doesn't intend to but it's frustrating. Everything was fine until those headphones. I ask him to come sit with me and watch some TV and even then, he's running a macro and crafting, he just can't stop. We make plans to go out around his guild raids. It's silly.

...

I'm happy on days when he doesn't play..when we can go out to eat or to the movies, or just sit around and watch TV. Then I just shut down. This isn't anything to make or break us..I've been friends with him for 7 years and married for 1..and some days I just can't believe that I get to be with him for the rest of my life, but how do you cope? What do you say? Do you just hope it will run it's course?

...

He plays when he comes home from work, usually around 5-midnight. Then almost all day on the weekends. Probably 30+ hours a week. Maybe less, it depends on his work schedule. I ask if we can go to the movies or out on the weekends, and he typically says, "oh, okay, but we have to be back by this time..." for a guild raid, of course.... He works usually 8-4:30, comes home and plays all night, you would think that he'd be ready to go to bed at 11-ish with me, right? Nope, often I go up by myself..he comes in around 1 or later. This happens a couple of times a week."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that he plays closer to sixty hours a week than thirty.

If he plays from 5-12 on weeknights, that's 35 hours right there. I'm guessing that "all day" on the weekends can mean up to twelve hours or more each day, so we'll say that's another 25 hours, which brings the total to sixty.

If he put sixty hours a week into anything that produces a meaningful outcome or reward, he'd probably be rich / or a master at something.

Jul 18, 2006, 12:32:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home