It's 10 pm. Do you know where you and your loved ones are? Here is a collection of experiences from those who live / have lived with an obsessive MMOG gamer and from those who have lived the experience of obsessive MMOG gaming.

Friday, June 17, 2005

"I quit my MMOG yesterday because I got sick of always running around like crazy trying to get things done just so I could get back online. I was tired of the incessant nagging little voice in my head pleading with me to go back to the computer. I had quit before but gone back, promising myself I’d limit it to a couple of hours a day after the kids were in bed. Well… 2 hours turned into four hours. Then I started to play for an hour at breakfast and an hour at lunch as well. Then I started to play all day while the kids were in school and again for hours after they went to bed. I do give myself credit for never playing when the kids were around but playing all day when they were gone meant that I had to pick up the slack with the housework after they got home, not leaving much time for actually interacting with them, hence the running around frantically just so I could get back online. My husband rarely saw me (granted he’s a workaholic, but he does work from home in the evenings) because I was in the office chatting away with my virtual “friends.” It’s a pathetic existence really. Nothing you can do online is an accomplishment that would even equal cleaning the toilet in real life. It’s all a big nothing, a big illusion. It feels good to accomplish something in these virtual worlds but the accomplishments are truly meaningless and come at a huge cost. How many precious hours of my life were wasting sitting alone in front of a computer? The saddest thing is that I’m not getting those hours back."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home